Decarboxylation is as much of an art as cooking itself. Trying to ensure your cannabis or hemp is properly decarboxylated can be tricky. One of the best tools I recommend is a laser thermometer.
Mason Jar Method
Instructions For Mason Jar Method
- Preheat oven to 230-250 Degrees.
- Grind cannabis like you would to smoke it and place in Mason Jar. Then tighten lid. We usually use anywhere from 3.5g to 28g of flower or trim depending on recipe.
- Bake in oven for 60 minutes. (Hemp for 70 to 80 minutes) (Best way to verify temperature is to verify with laser thermometer)
- Remove from oven and let set until it reaches room temperature then it’s ready for any required recipe. The mason jar seals in the terpenes and doesn’t allow for much evaporation like the baking method.
Instructions For Pressure Cooker (Instapot)
- Grind up your Cannabis and place into a mason jar. Add a lid, but do not tighten all the way.
- Place the mason jar in the Instapot. Add water into the Instapot, about 2 cups.
- Close the lid and set the pressure to cook on high, for 40 minutes.
- Release the steam/pressure after 40 minutes. (50-55 minutes for Hemp)
- Remove the Cannabis filled mason jar, and let cool.
- While the mason jar is in your Instapot, it may rattle and make a little noise while cooking. That is totally normal and expected!
- Remove cannabis and store in sealed mason jar or container.
Quick Video of InstaPot Decarboxylation
The oven method of decarboxylation was the first way we ever learned to decarboxylate. Usually you only need some foil, a baking sheet and your standard oven. I would highly recommend getting a laser thermometer if you use this method to continually monitor your cannabis or hemp to ensure it doesn’t burn but does reach a temperature that will convert the THC to THCA.
Instructions For Oven Decarboxylation
- Set your oven temperature to 220-225 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place a sheet of foil on the baking sheet. Foil is important because it burns more evenly than just placing it directly on the baking sheet.
- Lightly grind hemp or cannabis and place on the baking sheet.
- Place baking sheet on middle rack of the oven. The top rack gets a little cooler, the bottom rack gets very hot… placing the baking sheet in the middle will help ensure you don’t burn or under-cook your cannabis or hemp.
- Bake in the oven for 40 to 45 minutes. Use your Laser Thermometer to continually test the product to ensure you are reaching the right temperature. Stay between 220-230F. For Hemp, bake 50 to 55 minutes, ensuring to monitor temperature.
- Remove baking sheet from the oven and let cool for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Place in a Mason Jar with lid and store for future use.
- Turn Air Fryer on and set to 220 degrees.
- Add ground up Cannabis to an oven safe dish. Cover with foil, and poke a few wholes in the foil to vent it. If you are concerned about smell use a mason jar lid, but make sure not to tighten it all the way.
- Place the oven safe dish in the Air Fryer and set the cook timer for 60 minutes. For Hemp, cook for 70-75 minutes.
- Once finished, remove the bowl with an oven mitt.
- Store in a sealed mason jar or container with a seal.
Air Fryer Decarboxylation Quick Video – Watch Here!
More Machines That Decarb
We will be testing each of these machines as soon as they arrive for their decarboxylation and butter/oils!